- Damien Cox: Panthers GM Dale Tallon said on the Fan 590 that he is actively shopping the first overall pick.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: (mailbag) Though he thinks that Cody Eakin will end up being the Stars second line center, they could look to trade for Ryan Kesler or try to sign Paul Stastny if he hits the open market. Stastny is definitely on the Stars radar. Former Star Matt Niskanen may be intriguing, but he may not want to come back to Dallas he has some bad injuries.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: The Stars will be looking for blueline help this offseason despite having about 10 players that be could be in their lineup. GM Jim Nill and coach Lindy Ruff would like a top-level defenseman.
“Moving forward, it would be great to have a No. 1 or No. 2 defenseman, but there are 25 other teams that want the same thing,” Nill said. “That’s probably something we’ll have to draft and develop. It’s hard to find a true No. 1 defenseman.”
The Stars could look at Alex Edler, Christian Ehrhoff, Tyler Myers and Dmitry Kulikov.
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: Flyers have a substanital offseason to-do list. They need a No. 1 defenseman, a scoring winger and more speed. The Flyers could look at free agent Matt Moulson.
- David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News: The Sharks will have some decisions to make: blow it up, fire Todd McLellan and/or Doug Wilson. They could look to buy out Martin Havlat and his $5 million contract. Do they look to re-sign Dan Boyle or let him test the free agent market? Other expiring contracts: Tommy Wingels, James Sheppard, Jason Demers, Scott Hannan and Mike Brown.
- Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch: The Blue Jackets may look to sign pending RFA Ryan Johansen to a three year deal, which would leave him with one year left as a RFA. Derek MacKenzie said he’d like to re-sign with the Blue Jackets. They’ll have to decide if they want to re-sign Nikita Nikitin and/or Nick Schultz. Portzline doesn’t see the Blue Jackets buying out either James Wisniewski or R.J. Umberger (people asking about those two players). The chances of Wisniewski getting traded are higher than a buyout. The Blue Jackets could be active on the trade front this offseason. GM Kekalainen would like to increase their speed and skill. It would be a surprise if they signed a big ticket free agent.
- Eye on Hockey: Teemu Selanne on rumors of him playing in the KHL next season: ‘I don’t think so but you never know’
- Hope Smoke: Elliotte Friendman: “I think the one thing the Blues will do is try to find offense. I can see the Blues having interest in Spezza if Ottawa moves him” … “The Blues were in on Vanek the first time he was moved.”
- Hope Smoke: Pierre LeBrun: “I think there is a mental weakness with this Sharks team. They need to upgrade the G & improve the D”