- Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic: The free agent pool is year is not deep and the price tags may be too high for the Coyotes. The Coyotes have some young players like Connor Murray, Brandon Gormley and Max Domi that might be ready to make the jump. The Coyotes may also be open to making some trades. They could look be looking players in the 23 to 25 year range to complement enthusiasm with experience.
“We have to look at our group and say we need more energy,” Maloney said. “We need more hunger into our group, and maybe we got a little complacent with people being here too long.”
- Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press: Lawless thinks that the Jets will look at trades and free agent options in net. A trade to bring in a forward this offseason is a possibly.
- Brian McNally of the Washington Times: Capitals defenseman Mike Green knows that the organization could go in a different direction with GM George McPhee and their coaching staff, and that his days with the Capitals could be numbered. Green is entering the last year of his three deal. He’ll make $6.25 million next year with a cap hit of $6.083 million.
- Adam Vingan of NBC Washington: (mailbag) Vingan thinks that the Capitals could get some assets back for Mike Green instead of buying him out. If they traded him, it would be because they think the core needs some retooling. It seems unlikely that GM George McPhee and coach Adam Oates return.
- Katie Carrera of the Washington Post: Alex Ovechkin said that he would never ask for a trade. Only July 1st his limited no-trade clause kicks in. Each year he lists 10 teams that he would accept a trade too. There has been no indication that Capitals owner Ted Leonsis would consider trading Ovechkin.
- Iain MacIntyre: MacIntyre is hearing nothing regarding John Tortorella and that Ron Hextal is in the mix for the Canucks GM job.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “Callahan is what he is. The Rangers at one point were willing to pay him $6 million a year and he wanted more” … “Keep something in mind, Fla is a no tax state. He may be able to take a deal that is more palatable to TB & Callahan makes his $”