- Pierre LeBrun: Hearing that changes with the Canucks could happen as soon as today or tomorrow.
- Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: The Bruins will have a bonus overage penalty next season and have some RFA and UFA that will be needing new deals. They have $62 million already committed for next season. The Bruins may have trouble re-signing Jarome Iginla to a mulit-year contract. Would Iginla take a one-year deal from the Bruins? Bonuses are not allowed to be included in multi-year deals for players over 35.
- James Mirtle: Dave Bolland is wanting to become the Maple Leafs highest paid center. Mirtle doesn’t think the Leafs should bring Bolland back on an expensive long-term deal with his bad ankle and battered body.
- Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: The Penguins and pending UFA Brooks Orpik are keeping their plans quiet. Orpik:
“That’s something Ray and I agreed we wouldn’t talk about in the media. We’ll just let it play out and see what happens.”
- Hope Smoke: Ray Ferraro: “I don’t like Bolland at $5 million dollars. If that’s what he wants I let him go and replace him with someone else” … “Say you’re paying Holland $1 mill and Bolland $5 something. Is Bolland $4 million better? Use that money to fix the D“
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “I think Trotz’s time has come in NSH. Sense is he can feel it. There is a mood around office that coaches can sense”
- Hope Smoke: Dreger: “I think McPhee is just as likely to go as Oates. Could see full scale change in WSH”
- Hope Smoke: Dreger: “I would look at Bylsma. If Pitt were to go out with a whimper I think Byslma could be vulnerable there”
- Hope Smoke: Dreger: “I think Carlyle’s job is obviously in jeopardy. Can’t go through this type of disappointment without that happening.” … “If Carlyle loses his job I’m sure there will be some teams that will have some interest”
- Hope Smoke: “I believe Maurice is the man for Wpg.”