- Michael Russo of the Star Tribune: (mailbag) The Wild must figure out their goaltending situation this offseason. Josh Harding and Niklas Backstrom have health concerns. If they think that Darcy Kuemper can be the No. 1 goalie, they may look to add a scorer like Thomas Vanek and/or look to sign a free agent defenseman. If the Wild don’t think that Kuemper is ready, they’ll need to look at available goalies.
Players who won’t be back with the Wild next year: Dany Heatley, Mike Rupp and Ilya Bryzgalov. Cody McCormick is not likely to be back. Kyle Brodziak could be put on the trade market.
If they are to use their compliance buyout, they could use it on Brodziak.
It’s up in the air if they will look re-sign Matt Moulson instead of going after Thomas Vanek.
Russo thinks that Andrei Markov could intrigue the Wild, though age and injuries could be a concern. Russo would look at right handed shooting Matt Niskanen (from Minnesota) and if looking for toughness, Brooks Orpik.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson thinks the Oilers will probably use Hurricanes Justin Faulk as a comparison for RFA Justin Schultz. Faulk signed a six-year, $29 million deal. Schultz and Faulk have similar stats. The Oilers could look to a P.K. Subban type bridge contract at two-years at a $2.875 million cap hit.
Ducks GM Bob Murray will likely revisit a Ryan Kesler trade at the draft. Many of their young guys could be available in a deal expect: Hampus Lindolm, Cam Fowler, and John Gibson. Their 1st round pick and unlikely the Senators pick could be included. Players that could be talked about are: Emerson Etem, Kyle Palmieri, Devante Smith-Pelly, Rickard Rakell, Jacob Silfverberg, Sami Vatanen and Nic Kerdiles.
- Brad Ziemer of the Vancouver Sun: The Canucks will consider buying David Booth out this offseason or to bring him back next year. He has one year left at $4.25 million. Booth is trying to block out the buy out talk.
“The buyout could be another reason to give up,” he said. “Hey, I am just going to get bought out at the end of the year anyway so why do I have to worry? But that thought is not in my mind. I am still going to come here and prove that I can play and that I deserve to be here.”
- Hope Smoke: TSNs Ray Ferraro: “If you fire Carlyle would you consider Laviolette or Dineen? There isn’t a Ken Hitchcock just sitting there.” … “Sometimes you fire a coach because there is somebody better waiting. I cannot come up with a great list of who is out there”
- Hope Smoke: Doug MacLean: “I will be surprised if Carlyle or Nonis get fired.”