- Katie Carrera of the Washington Post: There have been no contract talks between the Capitals and Jaroslav Halak’s camp, and there won’t be until the season is over.
“We’re not going to approach those discussions until the end of the season,” Walsh said. “It makes absolutely no sense to be talking when a team is on the cusp of making the playoffs and trying to make the playoffs. It’s just not the right time.”
- Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press: Lawless looks at the Jets goaltending situation. There are questions about Ondrej Pavelec and Al Montoya. Montoya is a pending UFA. Pavelec has three years left at $3.9 million per. Ryan Miller, Jonas Hiller and Jaroslav Halak are pending UFA, but would be expensive and they would have to clear some salary to bring them in. Manitoba native James Reimer could interest the Jets. Reimer’s SV% and GAA are slightly better then Pavelec’s, and he could be available this summer.
- Hope Smoke: Pierre LeBrun: “There’s still a chance Reimer comes back next year. The Leafs are still comfortable with this duo” … “We expected this tension from Reimer earlier in the year” … “Between the Leafs coaching staff & mgmt they don’t believe Reimer can lead them to the promise land. They just don’t” … “Reimer is an interesting guy. He’s very likeable. That night against Det was a microcosm of what the Leafs feel about him” … “Against Det Reimer was good and kept the Leafs in the game, but just couldn’t steal the game. They don’t feel he can win them games”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “I think there are probably more GMs that felt Reimer was a #1 G Last summer than they do now”
- Hope Smoke: Pierre LeBrun: “I think the Leafs will be ultra aggressive this summer to address their blueline they need a top 4 guy. Loom for size in top 6 too”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “This summer is a drop-dead date for Kadri and Bolland long-term in Toronto. Not an absolute drop-dead date here”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “I think Holland could be a good player if used but Carlyle would prefer to play McClement than him” … “They’re in the market for a better C and a top 4 D. If they need to use Kadri or Gardiner as currency for that they would”