- Ian Mendes: Panthers GM Dale Talon on pending RFA Erik Gudbranson: “He’s not going anywhere. He is likely going to be the captain of our team some day.”
- Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times: There have been no talks between Ben Smith and the Blackhawks.
‘‘You try not to give that too much power,’’ Smith said. ‘‘As long as I keep working hard and show what I can do, that stuff will take care of itself.’’
- Katie Strang: Rangers owner James Dolan on ESPN radio: “I think Ryan [Callahan] was essentially asking too much for his services”
- Katie Strang of ESPN: It doesn’t sound like pending UFA Matt Moulson will return to the Islanders this offseason.
“It’s been said that I wasn’t in the future plans, so I don’t think that will quickly change,” Moulson said. “I’m just going to concentrate on helping Minnesota to win right now.”
- Dobber Prospects: Bob McKenzie said that the Wild are trying hard to sign college UFA Greg Carey.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “When the NHL is looking at expansion they’ll be targeting the pacific northwest”
- Brittany Wallman of the Sun Sentinel: Six of eight commissioners voted in favor of giving the Panthers additional taxes from tourists. The Panthers are asking for and additional $80 million from Broward County. The Panthers are requesting the developmental rights to 22 acres of land next to the arena, is separate from the request for additional tax funds. Panthers President and CEO Michael Yormark.
“We need help,” he said.
“We’re losing $100,000 a day,” said Panthers co-owner Doug Cifu, who with Vinnie Viola became the team’s fifth owner in September, with a $250 million purchase. “So where I sit, time is of the essence.”
- Farhan Lalji: Told that the Canucks ownership definitely will not make a move regarding John Tortorella or Mike Gillis until season.
- Andy Strickland: From the Ryan Miller trade: some scouts think that William Carrier could play on the Sabres third line next season.
- Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun: Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle on James Reimer after a 3-2 loss to the Red Wings.
“I thought he was okay, you know,” Carlyle said after Reimer made 28 saves against the Wings.
“So he said I was just okay?” Reimer said.
“I thought I was good. I don’t know if I was great, and I would like to be great, but I thought I made some good saves when I needed to.”
Reimer’s agent, Ray Petkau on twitter after the game.
“As is customary in Toronto, when your team plays poor defensively game after game you blame your goalie.”
Petkau then tweeted 40 minutes later.
“Apparently that last tweet needs clarification. Notice it’s NOT directed at anyone in particular. It’s a general observation. #BadTiming”