- TSN Insider Trading: Darren Dreger on the Senators pending free agent Chris Phillips.
In terms of Phillips, there’s a negotiation that’s ongoing between the Ottawa Senators and Phillips to keep him a lifer in Ottawa. If that doesn’t go well, if Phillips doesn’t like the offer that has been presented, then Bryan Murray may have to make a very difficult decision. There would be interest in Chris Phillips, a veteran player, very sound defensively, maybe he’s a good fit with the Boston Bruins.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Senators GM Bryan Murray continues to work the phones for a scoring winger. The asking price for Thomas Vanek and Matt Moulson remains high, which the Senators will want no part of. The Senators remain interested in Chris Stewart. Murray has players in the system to offer up in deals, but hasn’t found a fit yet. There has been interest in a couple of Senators pending UFAs: Chris Phillips and Milan Michalek. Both players would like to stay in Ottawa, but it’s not known if there have been any talks.
- Scott Burnside of ESPN: 10 players who could be traded and a guess as to what will end up happening with them.
1. Martin St. Louis: “St. Louis remains a Bolt until at least the draft.”2. Ryan Kesler: “Kesler stays in Vancouver, for the time being.”
3. Ryan Miller: “Miller in a Bluenote jersey strikes the right chord for us.”
4. Thomas Vanek: “Vanek is a King by week’s end.”
5. Ryan Callahan: “Yes, he stands as a straight rental and there are suggestions the Buffalo Sabres will push hard to sign Callahan come July (he’s from nearby Rochester), but a long run in the sun this spring could change all that, no?”
6. Matt Moulson: “Moulson joins the Penguins’ mighty arsenal.”
7. Mike Cammalleri: “If the Bolts move Martin St. Louis, would Cammalleri be a nice fit with Steven Stamkos? Yes.”
8. Ales Hemsky: “Hemsky had a nice Olympic tournament with three goals and an assist in five games, and a change of scenery could make him a nice deadline steal, assuming the Oilers don’t price themselves out of the marketplace.”
9. David Legwand: “Detroit. And there would also be a chance for the Wings to keep Legwand beyond this season at a modest salary given his connection to the community.”
10. Martin Brodeur: “And what about Chicago, which rode Corey Crawford all the way to the Stanley Cup last spring but had Ray Emery as a Plan B? Not sure Antti Raanta is the same kind of safety net yet, so perhaps Brodeur would fit.”
- Darren Dreger: Flames GM Brian Burke said there is no chance that he’ll be the GM next season.
- Darren Dreger: Based on the trade chatter that is going on, Burke expects league wide activity leading up to next Wednesday.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”Edmonton needs 2-3 20-25 minute defenseman” … ”Edmonton also needs a goalie and size up front. There are a lot of pieces needed there”
- Adam Vingan: Vingan would prefer the Capitals to stand pat at the trade deadline, but if they are to bring someone in, Canucks defenseman Alex Edler would be a big upgrade.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”Alex Edler to the Leafs makes a lot of sense”