- John Shannon: Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Pavel Datsyuk and Alex Semin didn’t return to the US on the NHL/NHLPA charter plane as originally planned. Sounding like they will remain in Russia for the closing ceremonies.
- Craig Custance: An agent suggested that the summer Olympics may be a better for NHL players.
- Adam Vingan: Capitals GM George McPhee of Evgeni Kuznetsov: “We’re proceeding as if he’s not going to be here. Until he’s no longer playing in KHL, not a lot I can comment on.”
- Arthur Staple: Islanders GM Garth Snow on John Tavares’ injury: “Are the IIHF or IOC going to reimburse our season ticket holders now?” … “It wouldn’t matter if we were 10 points up on a playoff spot or 10 points out. We lost our best player and he wasn’t playing for us.”
- Tom Gulitti: Red Wings GM Ken Holland said that even after Henrik Zetterberg left the Olympics due to an injury, he still supports the NHL participating in the Olympics.
- John Vogl of the Buffalo News: Some Austrian players were out partying at a bar until 6:00 am the night before their elimination game. Their names will be released soon.
“Chose Vanek as team captain to have an experienced player and this obviously went wrong,” Austrian Ice Hockey Federation President Dieter Kalt said at a news conference.
“After internal discussions there will be consequences,” said coach Manny Viveiros in this Eishockey.at story that was translated through Google. “I am very disappointed by the team. … The behavior of individual players is inexcusable.”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie on TSN Radio: “let’s not kid anybody, the whole notion of going to Korea in 2018 the NHL wants no part of it.” … “Yes, Tavares is injured, but FLA lost Barkov and Kopecky and the Rangers lost a very important player in Zuccarello” … “The NHL does not want to go to Korea. It makes no sense for them to go to Korea. I don’t think they’re going”