- TSN Insider Trading: McKenzie: Two Stars who may be okay with being traded are Ray Whitney and Sergei Gonchar. Whitney would be a rental, but Gonchar as two years left at $5 million.
LeBrun: A Dan Girardi extension may be more likely than a Ryan Callahanextension.
Dreger: The Kings would like to add some scoring but will likely have to wait until closer to the trade deadline due to cap space available. They are looking at rentals: Mike Cammalleri, Thomas Vanek and maybe Tomas Fleischmann and Matt Moulson.
Dreger: Hurricanes Tuomo Ruutu is in play. GM Jim Rutherford told Ruutu he will push for a trade. Ruutu has a no-trade clause.
McKenzie: Rutherford sent an email to teams saying Jiri Tlusty, Riley Nash, Drayson Bowman and Brett Bellemore are available. The Canucks did the same with Dale Weise. The Lightning did the same with Keith Aulie and Tom Pyatt.
- Will DePaoli of Insider Pittsburgh Sports: The Penguins sent Simon Despres back to the AHL, and some within the organization are souring on him. Trade speculation will mount as they may be higher on prospects Derrick Pouliot, Scott Harrington and Brian Dumoulin.
- Will DePaoli of Insider Pittsburgh Sports: The Penguins are looking for a third line winger and a top-six winger. They don’t have a second round pick and are lukewarm on the idea of trading their first round pick for any rental that might be available. There is some thought of playing James Neal with Chris Kunitz and Sidney Crosby, and then finding a winger for Evgeni Malkin by the deadline. There are better fits out there for Malkin than Crosby.
- ESPN Slide Show: Players who could be traded: Ryan Miller, Sam Gagner, Mike Cammalleri, Thomas Vanek, Matt Moulson, Steve Ott, Dan Girardi, Michael Del Zotto, Anton Khudobin or Justin Peters, David Legwand, Martin Erat, Andrew MacDonald, Ryan Callahan and Nazem Kadri.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: ”The Canucks need more strength down the middle. Probably going to have to use one of their good D to get it done.”
- Damien Cox: A rumor that was floating around the prospects game that was going on during the summer, was a James Reimer for Nail Yakupov deal.
- MyNHLTradeRumors: Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch said on Hockey Central that the Rangers wanted Marc Methot and another piece (likely an AHL player) for Michael Del Zotto. The Senators were fine with the other piece, but not with trading Methot.