- Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington: Gormley wonders if it’s time for the Capitals to make a trade. They’ve lost seven of nine, and have Michael Neuvirth and Martin Erat looking for a change of scenery. The Islanders could be looking for a goaltender with Evgeni Nabokov injured again. The Islanders have pending UFA defenseman Andrew MacDonald as a possible trade chip. The Islanders have the cap space to take on Neuvirth’s $2.5 million in salary, but may require a defenseman going back. Maybe Dmitry Orlov or Steve Oleksy? Other defensemen who could be available at the trade deadline: Dan Girardi, Chris Phillips, Ron Hainsey, Henrik Tallinder, Nikita Nikitin and Mark Stuart.
- Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun: Oilers GM Craig MacTavish:
“The next deal is going to be an important deal for us,” said the rookie GM who returned from the World Junior to watch a 5-3 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning and a 5-2 loss to the St. Louis Blues.
“It’s going to be important we make the right move.
“There have only been 12 deals made this year and we’ve made four of them. You can argue the pluses and minus of the four deals we made.
“We’re trying to do something. We’d be crazy not to. We just have to keep grinding away, having conversations until there’s something that makes sense.”
MacTavish wouldn’t comment on the Sam Gagner rumors. MacTavish on what they could use.
“We need big, strong, heavy guys who can give us what we don’t have now.”
- Joe Haggerty of CSNNE: Haggerty looks at possible replacements for Bruins Dennis Seidenberg if they decide to go the trade route: Dan Girardi, Michael Del Zotto, Mark Stuart, Christian Ehrhoff, Andrej Meszaros, Chris Phillips, Kimmo Timonen, Ron Hainsey, Nick Schultz, Henrik Tallinder and Rostislav Klesla.
- Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press: The Jets are a team that needs to do something, they are “a team begging for a shakeup.” Either it be a coaching change or a significant trade.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: ”I’ve heard that Burke is interested in Darcy Regier, Futa, Treliving and Dave Poulin” … ”Burke probably won’t hire a GM until the draft. He may hire an assistant GM first”
- Hope Smoke: Nick Kypreos: ”The Bernier v Reimer battle has never been an even race. Leafs view them differently.” … ”I’m not saying Bernier is a #1, but that’s who the Leafs want to be the guy”
- Hope Smoke: Doug MacLean: ”Carlyle has had a free ride since he came to Toronto. The screws are going to turn on him really fast here”
- Adrian Dater: Eastern teams scouting the Avalanche-Senators game: Capitals (1) and Rangers (2).
- Dmitry Chesnokov: KHL’s Spartak Moscow may fold as they don’t have enough money to pay players and to go on road trips.