- Darren Dreger: Andrew Cogliano’s 4-year, $12 million extension with the Ducks: $2.7 million, $2.9 million, $3.1 million and $3.3 million.
- David Alter: Maple Leafs Tim Leiweke said that the Rogers Centre is a “non-starter” as an option for an outdoor game in Toronto.
- Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal: Willis thinks the Oilers should consider bringing Ryan Smyth back on a one-year deal. He’s good on the PK, good defensively on 5-on-5, underrated playmaker and is their best net-front player.
- Brian Hedger: The Blackhawks have sent Jason LaBarbera to the AHL. Antti Raanta will be the backup for Corey Crawford.
- Randy Miller: Devils Cory Schneider is getting 1.63 goals per game in his 19 starts. Martin Brodeur is getting 2.83 goals per game in his 24 starts.
- Katie Carrera of the Washington Post: Part of Capitals coach Adam Oates’ thought process on selecting his starting goalie, giving your team a chance to win in a loss.
“You’ve got to be honest and fair and I try to be as much as possible. There’s been some times where I told [Holtby] he was going to play and I changed my mind. Ottawa’s one of them,” Oates said.
“We lost in Ottawa but I felt Grubi played a good game. I felt bad he didn’t get the win but I don’t feel that he’s not giving us a chance to win,” Oates said. “That’s part of what a goalie’s job is. Obviously every once in a while you want a guy to steal one for you but I just need him to play good and playing good [through the] adjustments we’re trying to make going forward.”