- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “I wouldn’t be at all surprise if once the trade freeze lifts, NY makes that trade and Del Zotto goes to Ottawa”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”We know Vigneault is a guy who has trouble relating to players at times. Perfect example of that is Vigneault and Del Zotto”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”Management is still trying to figure out whether they have to change their style up front.” … ”Vigneult wants to play a more aggressive grinding game up front but doesn’t have the pieces to do that”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”Outside of Del Zotto and Brian Boyle they really aren’t shopping anyone. The Pacioretty to the Rangers rumours just won’t go away”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”Lots of interest in Pacioretty but I don’t think Bergevin is at point of dealing him. If he is, the Rangers would be hard after him”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “Rangers are capped out and they have two big UFAs coming up. If they ask for market value they can’t keep both of them”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: ”Rangers have to buy out Brad Richards out. They have no choice but to use the compliance buyout and free up the cap space”
- B.D. Gallof: The Islanders have every intention in attempting to re-sign Thomas Vanek. You shouldn’t assume that he’ll be traded until after they attempt it.
- B.D. Gallof: Teams are asking the Islanders for Reinhart, Pulock, Strome and Nelson even for ‘B’ and ‘C’ defenseman.
- L.A. Lariviere: Multiple sources are saying that Bruins assistant GM Jim Benning is the No. 1 candidate for the Sabres vacant GM position. Benning was a scout in Buffalo for 12 years.
- Mike Zeisberger of Toronto Sun: Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer denies that there is a feud with head coach Randy Carlyle.“We’re both competitive people. I compare it to two guys fighting in practice. Both guys care, both guys are intense, both guys want to win. And then it’s over.
“Look around the league,” he said, smiling. “There are plenty of goalies who don’t agree with their coach all the time. I haven’t talked to Randy about it, but I think he probably liked (my reaction). I’m a competitive guy and I thought I could lead us to a win. He obviously didn’t agree. It happens.
“There is nothing to it.”