- Kristen Odland of the Calgary Herald: Flames Brian Burke is saying again that he doesn’t want to be their GM.
“If anyone thinks I want to be the GM, then I should be in begging for the job,” he said Thursday from his home in Toronto where he made a stop amid the team’s five-game road trip to attend his daughter’s Christmas concert. “I should be in (owner) Murray (Edward)’s office or (president) Ken King’s office, saying ‘I want to be the GM.’ I don’t. I’m conducting the search.”
The Flames have received permission to speak with potential candidate, and have had some talks with other teams. Burke’s shortlist has three to six names. Interviews may not start for a month and could take until the summer.
- Boston Bruins: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli: “Let me be clear on Marchy…I’m not trading Marchy, he’s a good player, I like the way he plays.”
- Tim Seppa on ESPN: Buyer beware candidates on the trade market: Martin Erat – aging forward and a potential distraction. Shawn Matthias – underachieving and lack of consistency. Drew Stafford – not worth the price tag ($4 million cap hit) and has low defensive value. Eric Cole – his age and which Cole will you get? Zack Kassian – inconsistent effort, poor judgement and a limited ceiling. Jack Johnson – overrated and a poor possession player. Tim Thomas – availability and upside have taken a bit of hit due to his age. Justin Peters – he’s not really as good as he looks right now.
- Neil Greenberg of ESPN: 10 potential buyout candidates for 2014: Ville Leino, Tuomo Ruutu, Anton Volchenkov, Paul Gaustad, Martin Havlat, Erik Cole, Mikael Samuelsson and R.J. Umberger.
- Ken Warren: Even the Senators players know some changes could be coming.
“Change is inevitable when things like this happen,” Ryan said before Thursday’s game. “I wouldn’t be surprised if something happened. And guys wouldn’t be surprised in the room, right? I think guys would understand that’s the way the game goes if you’re not performing.”
A short-term fix could be to acquire an experience, reliable defenseman. Someone like Coyotes Rostislav Klesla could be an option. His $2.9 million is an issue though. May only cost them a third or fourth liner, or a bottom end defenseman. Erik Condra, Colin Greening and Eric Gryba’s names have been mentioned when looking at Michael Del Zotto. Warren wonders about trading Jason Spezza to a Western Conference team. Spezza will make $7 million next year, the last year of his seven year deal. Someone may offer up a first round pick, allowing them to recoup a first since they sent theirs to the Ducks in the Bobby Ryan trade. Spezza has a no-trade clause.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “At some point some team will find that magic formula and Gardiner will be part of a trade package.”
- Hope Smoke: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis: “You add players to your core all the time. We have no players with no-trade clauses and we’d be comfortable moving anyone.” … “Gardiner has god given ability that you don’t want to take away from him. needs to be more consistent. Jake & Morgan are our future”
- Hope Smoke: Leafs GM Nonis: “There is a lot of trade talk. There has not been a significant trade this year due to the cap.” … “There are a lot of guys willing to make deals with you but they’re for things that won’t help you” … “The most difficult part is that you are trying to make moves for dollar in for dollar out.”
- Hope Smoke: Leafs GM Nonis: “We’ve got players that are UFA and we’ll look to talk to them before their contracts expire.”
- Hope Smoke: Leafs GM Nonis: “I have no interest in trading JVR for a centre.”
- Dennis Bernstein: Maple Leafs need help up front, but nothing is close.
- Dennis Bernstein: Senators GM Bryan Murray is working hard to make a deal, looking to make a significant one.