- Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch: Back in June of 2011, the Blue Jackets and Flyers were working on a trade to include either Jeff Carter or Mike Richards. The Blue Jackets eventually got Carter for Jake Voracek, a 1st round pick and a third round pick in a draft day trade. The deal almost became a massive one when a day before the 2011 NHL draft, GM Paul Holmgren called then GM Scott Howson …
“You want ‘em both?” Holmgren asked Howson, meaning Carter and Richards.
Howson said he couldn’t do the deal without seriously depleting their picks and prospects. Portzline thinks that type of deal would have had to include Ryan Johnansen (2010 draft) and their 2012 1st round pick, which ended up being Ryan Murray, to go along with the pieces they discussed in the for just Carter.
- Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Blues GM Doug Armstrong on Alex Steen’s deal.
“We were always working under the timetable that when Alexander was ready to talk, we would be there,” Armstrong said. “The breakfast was more just a state of the union with Alexander’s part of our leadership group. I felt it was going to get into his situation.
“As soon as he said he was interested, I called and talked to (Blues owner) Tom Stillman. He talked to his ownership group and gave us the go-ahead. We called, made one offer and (Steen’s new agent) made a counter. It happened in two days. I wish they could all go this way — they do all go this way when you have joint interest, and that’s ‘We want the player here and the player wants to be here.’”
The Blues presented multiple offers with a variety of term. They didn’t offer any deal that was seven or eight years. Steen on signing for just three years.
“As far as the term goes, we feel that three years is a long time,” Steen said. “After that, we’ll probably quietly start discussing things again.”
- Dan Rosen: The Rangers recalled J.T. Miller and have returned Dylan McIlrath and Arron Asham to the AHL.
- Dennis Bernstein: Kings send Linden Vey back to the AHL.
- Tom Gulitti: Cory Schneider will start in net for the Devils tonight.