- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has been calling around to see what the market for Justin Peters is like. The Oilers are said to have more than a passing interest in Peters.
Pat LaFontaine’s GM search has grown, with two league executives saying he’s asked permission to speak with 15 to 20 people. Some teams don’t like the idea of losing someone mid-season, with some refusing permission. Bruins assistant GM Jim Benning is the leading candidate.
Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen wants to make a move. They could use a forward.
The Canadiens would like a skilled scorer up front, but they don’t have a lot to give up. They have tried to move Brian Gionta in the past, but he won’t get them the return they’d like.
The Blues, Blackhawks and possibly the Ducks have shown some interest in Sabres Ryan Miller. Miller’s value will be at it’s highest at the trade deadline. The Sabres will have to make a decision on Steve Ott as well.
The Blackhawks have been sniffing around for help down the middle.
The Maple Leafs want to do something, especially down the middle.
Talk is that anyone on the Hurricanes could be available except for: Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Jeff Skinner or Cam Ward. They are pushing for a playoff spot, but they’d like to make some changes. Names that keep coming up: Tim Gleason, Jiri Tlusty and Tuomo Ruutu.
The Avalanche are looking for a defenseman. It’s believed they have shown some interest Michael Del Zotto, but the Rangers want a top-four defenseman in return and the Avs don’t have that.
Panthers GM Dale Tallon is still trying to make moves. At some point he’ll be able to trade Dmitry Kulikov, Tom Gilbert, Shawn Matthias and Marcel Goc.
- Adrian Dater via Sulia: The Avalache are looking for a defenseman, but Dater doesn’t think that Michael Del Zotto will be the guy.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Kings might see what they can get for Ben Scrivens once Jonathan Quick returns from injury.
Matheson thinks the Ducks will look to re-sign Jonas Hiller as long as he isn’t looking for too much money. The Ducks could then look to trade Viktor Fasth.
- The Fourth Period: The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is reporting the Penguins will look at extending some players “over the next little bit.” Brooks Orpik and Matt Niskanen will be UFAs at the end of the season. The Penguins currently have about $16 million in cap space for next season.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger on TSN Radio: ”Most of Leafs nation see the value of Clarkson aside from the suspensions.”
- Brian Stubits on CBS Sports: Youtube video from Vancouver on Saturday night. An incident involving Bruins Milan Lucic, who says that he was hit three times but didn’t hit the guy back. Language warning.