- Scott Powers of ESPN: Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman is thinking about having Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane long-term with the Blackhawks when making moves.
“We’ve always looked forward,” Bowman said in a phone interview with ESPNChicago.com on Friday. “We have formulas in place for what [the salary cap] could do and be.
“I think what matters for me is we got a great situation in Chicago. We have an owner that really understands what it’s all about to be a competitive team. We have been given resources by Rocky [Wirtz] and John [McDonough] to be a cap team and a very competitive team. I think players understand that. It’s become a destination. That’s the important thing. The numbers will work themselves out. We will adjust accordingly. We will keep the key players in Chicago.”
Contract talks with Kane and Toews can’t start until July.
“When it comes to it, we’re going to sit down with [their agent] Pat Brisson,” Bowman said. “I look forward to that. I’m excited about where this team and organization are going. I know Patrick and Jonathan are going to be a part of it.
“There’s no secret that they were part of turning this team around on the ice and in conjunction off the ice. It all goes together. We’re going to get down to it and talk about all the pertinent facts at the time. Until then, it’s all speculation.”
- Scott Powers of ESPN: Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman said he was unsure if Teuvo Teravainen would join the Blackhawks later on in the season. Once his season with Jokerit of SM-liiga, he could to join the team.
“I’m not planning on it, but it would be a bonus if he’s done with his season,” Bowman said in a phone interview Friday. “That’s an option. He’s signed. I think there are a lot of factors that go into it — when his season ends and where he’s at that point.”
- Chris Peters of CBS Sports: Chris Botta has a source who said that Peter Laviolette is “definitely” a top candidate if the Islanders fire head coach Jack Capuano.
- Chris Botta: Have been saying for over a year that Doug Weight is the other top candidate for the Islanders if they make a change.
- Arthur Staple of Newsday: Staple poses the question, is it time for the Islanders to rebuild again. Staple’s think the Isles should trade Thomas Vanek for as much as they can get back. Play Brock Nelson and calling up Ryan Strome. To make room they can put some on waiver, a trade or just bench people. They need to fix their goaltending. They could look to trade Lubomir Visnovsky or Michael Grabner. Staple wouldn’t trade Andrew MacDonald and thinks he’s worth $4 million.
- Chris Botta: “Agree with Art Staple that Isles must re-tool, but warn against rushing/asking too much of prospects. Do what the Red Wings do.”
- Ryan Dixon of SportsNet: There is still talk that the Islanders may still go after Sabres Ryan Miller.
- Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News: Harrington is open to the idea of the Sabres re-signing Ryan Miller, but only a limited offer, maybe three and $21 million.
- Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: Red Wings Danny DeKeyser is about two weeks from coming off the LTIR and St. James thinks the Wings should consider trading Kyle Quincey. Quincey carries a $3.775 million cap hit, and if the Wings could get a cheaper defenseman or draft pick for him, they should do it to improve their cap situation. Waiving Mikael Samuelsson wouldn’t give them any cap relief since it’s a 35-plus deal.
“Quincey cost the Wings a first-round pick in the trade, but they were desperate at the time, with half the team injured. He can still bring something in return. Quincey is just entering what’s considered an NHL defenseman’s prime years, and he showed offensive upside while with the Colorado Avalanche. Other teams might well see him fitting in better in a different system, and the Wings would benefit from a cleaner landscape.”
- Eric Engels: The Canadiens and Blue Jackets have been talking trade for weeks, but not sure if anything is coming in the immediate future.