- Craig Custance: Hurricanes Anton Khudobin is close to returning to the lineup, and the Hurricanes are getting some trade interest in both Khudobin and Justin Peters.
- Sam Carchidi: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said that it could be to distracting to have heavy contract negotiations with Steve Mason during the season.
- Matt Larkin: “Time to fire up the Thomas Vanek trade rumor circus again.”
- The Fourth Period: The Canadiens and Raphael Diaz continue to work on a new contract. Diaz is in the final year of a his two-year, $2.45 million contract. Diaz could get over $2 million a year in a new deal. GM Marc Bergevin continues to get inquiries about potential trades. Scott Mellanby, the Canadians Director of Player Development was at the Jets-Rangers game last night.
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: When asked if there were any contract talks with the Rangers about an extension, Ryan Callahan responded with:
“There’s absolutely nothing going on with that.”
“It’s something that will take care of itself,” Callahan said when asked if he is bothered by the lack of progress toward an extension. “I’ll play this year and see what happens after that.”
The Senators, along with the Blackhawks, had two scouts watching the Rangers. The Senators have talked the Rangers about Michael Del Zotto.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”Trade speculation around Gleason has been constant. I’ve been told something was close.” … ”At the moment though he still hasn’t been approached about waiving his NTC. Dicey situation with a veteran guy like Gleason”
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Both Devan Dubnyk and Ilya Bryzgalov will be UFAs at the end of the season and one will likely be available for trade by the trade deadline.
- James Mirtle: The Maple Leafs are implying that Morgan Rielly won’t be made available for the World Juniors. Flames Sean Monahan is still out with an injury. Can’t see the Avalanche allowing Nathan MacKinnon to go. Capitals Tom Wilson isn’t playing much for them. Chris Stevenson: Hockey Canada’s Scott Salmond said that at this point, he been informed that MacKinnon and Wilson will not be made available by their NHL teams.
- James Mirtle: Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle doesn’t think that Nazem Kadri and David Clarkson have played well together, Clarkson moved to the checking line at practice yesterday.