- The Fouth Period: The Blues will have to wait until the season is over to negotiate with pending UFA Alexander Steen.
“Alex prefers not to discuss a contract extension during the season and the team has respected that,” Steen’s agent, Jeff Kowall, told TFP Editor-in-Chief David Pagnotta.
If Steen keeps up this pace, the could be looking for a deal of at least $5 million per season. David Backes is the highest paid Blues forward with a cap hit of $4.5 million.
- B.D. Gallof: “As for Miller rumor which is 2 league execs (not GMs, mind you) say Garth working phones on goalies, Garrioch puts forth Miller scenario. It ignores a few items #isles people should know – Garth always talks to other GMs and inquires on costs. Don’t see it as anything
- Darren Dreger: It is sounding like a trade could go down when Hurricanes Tim Gleason returns to the lineup. He would have to OK the move.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson wonders if Ryan Miller would be interested playing with the Islanders or Predators.
- Renaud Lavoie: Hearing that Rangers Michael Del Zotto won’t be traded soon and that it could take longer than expected.
- Bob McKenzie: Wild defenseman Matt Dumba could be the most probable NHL player to be loaned to the Canadian Junior team. Even if there are no NHLers named to Canada’s camp today, they could be added later.
- Damien Cox: Senators owner Eugene Melnyk chose to be a Daniel Alfredsson’s return to Ottawa.