- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Islanders GM Garth Snow is working the phones. The ideal scenario for the Islanders would be for Sabres Ryan Miller to waive his no-trade clause to join the Islanders for the remainder of the season.
Teams have only shown mild interest in Capitals Martin Erat. GM George McPhee may need to a find a team that needs to stay near the salary floor: Islanders, Panthers and Sabres.
P.K. Subban and Canadiens contract extension talks are expected to heat up. Starting point may be Drew Doughty’s eight-year deal worth $56 million.
Predators GM David Poile has shown interest in Jonas Hiller and Tim Thomas.
Avs Joe Sakic is looking around the league for a defenseman. Left winger Jamie McGinn has fallen into Patrick Roy’s doghouse and is being shopped for blueline help. He has a cap hit of $1.75 million and will be a RFA at the end of the season.
Senators GM Bryan Murray is looking for a defenseman and may have also looked at Kings Matt Frattin. Murray is looking for someone to play with Jason Spezza.
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: On Maple Leafs Jake Gardiner:
The talented but erratic Gardiner would represent a challenge for any coach. But for a coach who demands specifics as much as Carlyle does, this almost seems like a relationship doomed to fail.
This is where Nonis fits in. He has the patience of Job. He’s not willing to make a determination of Gardiner, either way, this early.
He believes too many teams have made mistakes determining the fate of young defencemen, way too soon. It’s his inclination to allow Gardiner to develop at whatever speed is necessary. Carlyle, who hasn’t said as much, can’t possibly agree.
Rangers owner James Dolan said that Glen Sather is the teams GM as long as he wants.
- Chuck Gormley of the Washington Times: (mailbag) Gormley thinks that Capitals should be looking for a “hard-edge defenseman” in a Martin Erat trade. The Canucks may be interested in Erat and have Dan Hamhuis (he may not be available). Would an offer of Erat, Dmitry Orlov and Michal Neuvirth for Hamhuis work? Other Dmen options could be: Dmitry Kulikov (FLA), Michael Del Zotto (NYR), Andrej Meszaros (PHI), Luke Schenn (PHI), Nikita Nikitin (CBJ), Alex Martinez (LA), Francois Bouillon (MON) and Paul Ranger (TOR).
- David Pagnotta: Was told that there was group that was trying to buy the Coyotes and bring them to the Toronto. Not sure if tied to the Markham group. Obviously, the NHL rejected the offer. The rejected offered was believed to be in the $500 million range for relocation and territorial rights to the Maple Leafs.
- CBC Sports: Friedman said that the Maple Leafs may revisit talks with the Panthers about Dmitry Kulikov.