- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Talks between the Canadiens and P.K. Subbanare expected to start in about three weeks.The Islanders will have decisions regarding Andy MacDonald. He’s a pending UFA and will get interest from teams. Expect him to remain with the Islanders while they are in playoff contention.Nine teams are spending into the long-term injury allowance and 10 have less than a $1 million in cap space.Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has been looking around for a forward.
Dany Heatley’s days in Minnesota could be numbered. Europe may be his only option when he becomes a UFA. GM Chuck Fletcher has had no luck in finding a team interested in his $7.5 million contract.
The Stars have shopped Vernon Fiddler. The Maple Leafs looked at him, but decided they couldn’t fit his $1.8 million salary into their cap space.
Penguins GM Ray Shero has been looking around the league to see what he could get for defenseman Matt Niskanen, who will be a UFA at the end of the season.
Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards is on the hotseat.
- Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun: Ilya Bryzgalov will start for Oklahoma in the AHL.
“I am leaving in the morning. I think it’s going to be one week to get myself in good shape to go to Edmonton. I must play a couple games. If I’m not playing any games, I wouldn’t know what things to work on. Only the games show that.”
- Aaron Portzline: Despite interest from Vinny Prospal’s side, Portzline doesn’t see the Blue Jackets trying to sign him. Will wait to get healthy and let the younger kids play.
- Ryan Bright: According to a report: “Holmgren is listening to offers on any Philadelphia player not named Claude Giroux or Steve Mason.”
- Harvey Fialkov and Dieter Kurtenbach of the Sun Sentinel: Panthers Jacob Markstrom will likely be heading back to the AHL.