- Harvey Fialkov: “Kulikov to Leafs trade rumors eminated from Toronto Sun. So early for these rumors. Panthers are easy target b/c of good young players.” … “Tallon said Ottawa Sun report about dealing veterans was absolute hearsay as is today’s Toronto Sun report on trading Kulikov.”
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: With Mike Brown’s trade to the Sharks, the Oilers now have 48 contracts. There is some talk that the Oilers should go after Red Wings Jordin Tootoo. There have been some calls made, but he carries a cap hit of $1.9 million, which is a lot for a fourth-liner. The Oilers need an abrasive third pairing defenseman (Deryk Engelland) more than they need a fourth-liner.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: A decision on Patrick Kaleta should be known today or tomorrow. If the suspension stays longer that six games, he has seven days to decide if he wants to take it to an independent arbitrator.
The Canadiens had talks with Lars Ellerover the summer. No offer was made as Eller’s camp wanted to see how this season went after his injury late last season.
Sources saying the Panthers are open to make some moves. GM Dale Tallon won’t wait long to make some players available. More of a retool and not a rebuild.
- Damien Cox of the Toronto Star: There haven’t been serious talks between the Maple Leafs and pending UFA Dion Phaneuf. Money and term could be tricky, but they will make an offer to keep him.
- SportsNet Hockey Central: Is the writing on the wall for Claude Noel and Jake Gardiner?