- Bruce Garrioch: Eugene Melnyk said he lost $110 million since buying the Senators. Travis Yost: In August Melnyk said that he lost $94 since taking over the team. Two months later he’s saying he’s lost $110 million. James Gordon: Melnyk said that the Ottawa Citizen (mid-August) story was wrong, the $94 million was actually $110 million. James Gordon: Melnyk: ”And this excludes the additional interest and fees related to the debt extensions.” Gordon wonders this is were the extra losses came from.
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: It’s looking like Morgan Rielly will remain with the Maple Leafs all season, but GM Dave Nonis isn’t tipping his hand.
“I never make a decision until the moment I have to,” said Nonis, the Leafs’ general manager. “I like to wait until the end. That’s how I am. Besides, there’s no need to make it right now, is there?”
“You never know what’s going to present itself in the next few weeks. Right now, all indications are he’s playing well enough to be in the NHL,” said Nonis. “But right now, it’s still a small body of work. What’s he played? Five games. We like what we’ve seen to an extent but we don’t know what next week will bring.
- Missy Zielinski: The Lightning have recalled Brett Connolly from the AHL.
- Lou Korac: Blues Jaroslav Halak will start in net against the Blackhawks. Brian Elliott will start in net against the Jets tonight.
- Aaron Portzline: The Blue Jackets plan as of yesterday was to have Curtis McElhinney start either Saturday against the Capitals or Sunday against the Canucks.
- Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel: The Panthers twitter account stated that the Tim Thomas will start in net against the Bruins tonight.