- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: The Maple Leafs would like to move John-Michael Liles, but he has three years at $3.875 million left on his deal. If they were able to move him, they may have to include another piece to entice someone. The Flames do have lots of cap space, and Brian Burke did bring Liles to the Leafs. The Flames may not be that interested in Liles, but if they included center Joe Colborne, they might consider. If the Leafs don’t like any offers, they could send Korbinian Holzer and/or Mark Fraser to the AHL. They could send Liles to the AHL, but it would only give them a cap savings of $925,000
- Rob Longley: After listening to Claude Loiselle on the radio, it doesn’t sound like the Maple Leafs have any plans to play John-Michael Liles.
- James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail: The Bruins and Red Wings will likely exceed the salary cap by using bonus cushions, moving dollars to next year. Some teams may use only 19 players, one below roster minimum, so that they can recall players that won’t count against the cap. The Leafs could send Liles to the minors, but still would be able to fit Morgan Rielly in. In the CBA, there is a rule that allows teams to call up players that don’t count against the cap as a “roster emergency exception.” There stipulations to Provision 50.10(e):
1) Teams have to have less cap room than the league minimum salary (which is $550,000 this season) plus $100,000
2) A player has to become “unfit or unable to play” or be suspended
3) The team is unable to recall a player using the long-term injury provision
4) The team played its last game with fewer than 20 players (18 skaters and two goaltenders)
If teams meet that stipulations, they can add players who make $650,000 or less without counting against the cap. For the Leafs, they have Joe Colborne, Trevor Smith, Troy Bodie, TJ Brennan and Drew MacIntyre at under $650,000.
- Joe Haggerty: Waivers is one of the factors when looking at Jordan Caron making the Bruins final roster according to coach Claude Julien.
- Dan Rosen: Tim Thomas should be the Panthers season opener starter. Jacob Markstrom’s time will come.
- Elliott Pap: The Canucks send Frank Corrado and Zach Hamill to the AHL. Brendan Gaunce is sent back to junior.