- Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province: The Flames approached Predators GM David Poile about the position that Brian Burke had just took with the team. The Flames were given permission to speak with the Poile, but he wished to remain with Nashville. Brendan Shanahan was also interviewed for the position but he turned it down as he wanted to stay in a larger city.
- The Wheel Deal: Daniel Cleary skated at Joe Louis Arena with a bunch of Red Wings players yesterday. Ansar Khan: Cleary said that he won’t go to the Red Wings camp on a tryout, only on a signed contract, which is not likely not to happen. George Sipple: Cleary said he should make a decision by Sunday. He hopes to remain with the Red Wings but has offers from multiple teams. Ted Kulfan: Cleary said that three teams have given him legitimate offers.
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: Predators coach Barry Trotz had Seth Jones working on playing the left side this summer (normally played the right side) and envisions him playing with Shea Weber.
“In your long-term vision you’d like to see that, both of them at some point playing together,” Trotz said. “You’re going to see that in the preseason, and some of the scrimmages. I’ll do that on purpose to let them rub shoulders a little bit.”
- Tim Panaccio: Flyers center Sean Couturier has added some very obvious muscle this summer.
- Bob McKenzie: A theme from the Oilers and Flames training camp will be wingers trying to play center. The Flames asked T.J. Galiardi to work on faceoffs this offseason. The Oilers did the same with Taylor Hall.
- Bob McKenzie: The Flames will give long looks at Sean Monahan, Max Reinhart, Markus Granlund and Corban Knight down the middle. There may only be room for one of them, maybe two.
- Bob McKenzie: Jets Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba are two young players with the best chance to compete for a roster spot.
- James Mirtle: MLSE COO, Tom Anselmi, resigned yesterday.