- John Vogl of the Buffalo News: Sabers Thomas Vanek is entering his the last year of deal and has been surrounded by trade talks.
“No, not at all,” he said. “My end-of-the-year meeting was good. I just said my thoughts. I never asked for a trade, so from that point on I’m not surprised that I’m still here. But at the same time, if they would have moved me, I wouldn’t have been surprised either way.
“This is just a story that until something happens people want to know. To me, it’s not an issue.”
Vanek hasn’t shut the door on a contract extension, but wants to see how the young does before deciding.
“I just want to see where it goes,” Vanek said. “I have that right, and I’m taking it. I don’t feel like I’m doing a disservice to anyone. Some people might agree with me, some don’t. That’s the way it goes either way.”
- Calgary Flames: Flames GM Jay Feaster will report to Brian Burke, the President of Hockey Operations. David Shoalts: “Call the titles what you like but Brian Burke was just named general manager of the Calgary Flames and Jay Feaster drops to assistant GM.”
- Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Multiple reports that Brett Hull will be named at the Blue Vice President and will focus on the business side of operations. The deal isn’t finalized, but it could be done as early as next week.
- Stephen Whyno: Capitals Alex Ovechkin on the KHL rumors, “I have a contract” with a Capitals. Ovechkin said that there is no problems with his foot that had a hairline fracture in the playoffs.
- Allan Walsh: Radek Dvorak has accepted the Hurricanes offer to attend their training camp.