- James Mirtle: The Maple Leafs will need to get an extension done for Phil Kessel between now and the start of the season if he doesn’t want to negotiate during the season. Mirtle thinks he’ll end up with one of the top 10 salary cap hits.
- Iain MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun: Daniel and Henrik Sedin are entering the final year of their deals and are talking with the Canucks about an extension.
“There has been some talk,” Sedin said. “Nothing really concrete, but it’s getting there. We would like to get something done before the season. We’re not guys who like to talk about those things while playing, so we’ll see what happens.”
They likely won’t be signing for less than three years and won’t be taking a pay cut.
- Zdenek Matejovsky: (s/t Dave Stubbs) A Tomas Kaberle interview with the Czech Daily Sport confirms he is close to a deal with Minsk of the KHL.
- Igor Eronko: Jets RFA Arturs Kulda is trying to find a team in the KHL. He has a couple options, but nothing is imminent.
- Corey Pronman: Islanders prospect Ty Wishart signed with a German team.
- Cody Nickolet: The Jets have signed defenseman Brenden Kichton to a three-year entry level deal.