- Stephen Whyno: Team Canada GM Steve Yzerman said that Claude Giroux not attending orientation camp won’t hurt his chance making the team.
- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen signed a one-year, $6 million this offseason. Many thought it would be his last year, but that may not be the case.
“I’m not sure if this is going to be my last year,” the Flyers defenseman said on Tuesday. “I am going to take the approach of, ‘how do I feel?’ If I can still play at the level I’ve accomplished over the years, and enjoy it, I don’t see why not play one more year [after this season]. That will be my approach.
“If I stay healthy and play at the level I want, then I’ll go one more year. We’ll see.”
- David Staples of the Edmonton Journal: A R-Sport report has Nail Yakupov saying he would have liked to stay in the KHL last season.
“Of course I would have liked to have played a full season with Neftekhimik. I didn’t want to leave Nizhnekamsk because, to be honest, we had a pretty cool team.”
“But in Edmonton it was great. The only bad thing was that we didn’t make the playoffs.
“This year is sure to be sparkling. If we don’t get into the playoffs, then you’ve got to wonder. We’ve reshuffled, management has changed … something has to happen this season in terms of taking a step forward.”
- Shawn Roarke: Wild defenseman Ryan Suter has used a visor all summer in his training. Said it’s uncomfortable but manageable. He was hit just above the helmet line with a puck last year and it got him thinking.
- Shawn Hunwick: Hunwick announces his retirement from hockey. (After four season at the University of Michigan, he played in one NHL game with the Blue Jackets. He split last season between the ECHL and the DEL.)