- Brian Stubits of CBS Sports: Rangers GM Glen Sather said on Team 1260 radio that he is getting trade calls about Brian Boyle.
“I’ve had a lot of requests for Brian’s services,” Sather said. “I’m not anxious to trade him. I think he’s a good player, he’s a great team guy and I think he has still an upside to go to. He’s one of those guys you may regret trading if you do trade him so I’m not anxious to do anything with him at this time.”
- Chip Alexander: Cam Ward missed most of last season with a 3rd degree sprain to his left MCL. He’s ready to go this season.
“I definitely do,” Ward said this week. “Last season obviously is one I’d like to forget. I feel confident I’ve done everything I can this summer to get my body in the best shape I possibly can to have a healthy season. I want to make a big impact on this hockey team and let my play do the talking.”
- Bob Stauffer: The Oilers put Toni Rajala on unconditional waivers. He’ll most certainly have a deal in place with a European team. When on unconditional waivers, it usually means that they will have a mutual termination of the contract.
- Jim Matheson: Matheson can see Toni Rajala not wanting to play for $50,000 in the AHL when he can make a lot more in Europe. Rajala had told the Oilers that he wanted to play in Europe this season. The Oilers didn’t want to loan him as they already have loaned Hartikainen.
- Aaron Portzline: Blue Jackets Nathan Horton had his shoulder surgery six weeks ago. He is still scheduled to return in December or January. GM Jarmo Kekalainen:
“He’s doing very well, recovering, doing his rehab,” Kekalainen said. “His arm’s not in a sling anymore. He was at a golf tournament (not playing) yesterday, and in good spirits. So that’s a good sign. We’re going to be very patient and follow instructions given by the doctors. But nothing’s changed in terms of the timeline. If it heals 100 percent before we expect it, that would be a bonus and it would be nice. But we’re not going to expect that.”