- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: Simmons on the stalled contract talks between the Maple Leafs and Nazem Kadri:
Kadri wants to be paid like a star. Big money. Long term. Although no one involved will share the details of the stalled negotiations, whispers around indicate the two sides aren’t close to a deal.
The Leafs aren’t certain what they have in Kadri, which is why they are reluctant to give him a big, long-term deal. They’d like to sign him to a bridge deal in the $2-3 million range. Kadri wants to hit a home run.
- Lance Hornby of the Toronto Sun: Maple Leafs Nazem Kadri on stalled contract talks:
“I know I’m being pretty reasonable, taking all that cap into consideration, when really, that’s not my job to do,” Kadri said Tuesday after 15 Leafs had a pre-camp workout.
“Obviously the closer it gets to camp, it’s becoming more and more of a distraction. But as I said, I’m being more than reasonable and it’s their decision to make.”
- Josh Rimer: Signs are pointing to Teemu Selanne telling the Ducks in the next week that he’ll be playing this season. He has been skating and working out.
- Sean Leahy of Yahoo! Sports: Selanne to Eric Stephens of the OC Register:
“By next week, I know what I’m going to do.”
“My point is, if they’re better than I am, I am expecting and accepting a smaller role,” Selanne said. “But if I’m better, I need to play more. I need to play top minutes. That’s what I’m looking for.
“That’s fair for everybody. To be honest, I’ve been playing a big role. I don’t know if I’m ready to play 10-12 minutes a game. And that’s what I want to make sure. If I play well, I get what I deserve.
“Sometimes it’s not like that. So I want to make sure I’m treated the way I deserve.”
- Anaheim Ducks: The Ducks and Selanne talked this week. Selanne:
“He’s always very clear, very honest” … ”He said, ‘Teemu, I’m more than happy to see you back. It’s your decision. If you want to play, let’s do it” … “I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t thinking about playing. But I haven’t really made the final decision because I don’t really have to yet.”
- Craig Custance: Daniel Cleary is still in a holding pattern regarding a new contract. The Red Wings are still his first choice but he has options.