- Ansar Khan of MLive: After they re-sign Gustav Nyquist, the Red Wings will be over the salary cap and have 25 players under contract. Holland on Nyquist talks,
“We’ve done a lot of talking in the last couple of weeks. I anticipate getting it done. We’re close on a one-year, talking two years.”
- David Shoalts of the Globe and Mail: Both Cody Franson and Nazem Kadri are not close to signing contracts with the Maple Leafs. The Leafs have only about $4.9 million left under the $64.3 million salary cap. Kadri is coming off his deal with a $1.72 million cap hit. Franson had a $1.2 million cap hit. Franson and the Leafs haven’t talked for a couple of weeks. Kadri could go with a bridge contract, but it may be difficult to get him to agree on a short-term deal in the $2-$2.5 million range. They have exchanged numbers, and it’s more reasonable than Kadri last request, but there is still a significant gap. Kadri could be looking at Evander Kane’s six-year, $31.5 million deal.
- Brett Cyrgalis: On Rangers – Henrik Lundqvist contract extension talks: ”nothing new to report” according to a source.
- Igor Eronko: Oilers Lennart Petrell has signed with Geneve-Servette of the Swiss league.
- Igor Eronko: Kyle Wellwood could sign with Geneve-Servette of the Swiss league.