- Bruce Garrioch: Trade talk is in full swing.
“There is so much talk, and so many names, it’s hard to believe that everything that is being talked about could actually happen,” said a league executive Thursday. “Lots of teams are trying to make changes. No question.”
The Canadiens are the most obvious landing spot for Vincent Lecavalier. At one point the Lightning had a deal in place to send Lecavalier to the Canadiens for Carey Price, Max Pacioretty, P.K. Subban and a No. 1 pick, but Lightning ownership wouldn’t allow it.
If the Rangers buyout Brad Richards, look for the Lightning to bring him back on a two year deal.
The Blues might be seeing what they can get for T.J. Oshie and David Perron. The Blues still need to re-sign RFAs Chris Stewart and Alex Pietrangelo.
The Sabres are looking to see what they can get for Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller.
Scott Gomez likely won’t be back with the Sharks next year.
Canadiens GM Marc Bergeron may be sniffing around to see if there is a market for Tomas Plekanec. He has a no-trade clause and has a cap hit of $5 million.
The Stars are offering Erik Cole around the league.
Avalanche could be trying to send Paul Stastny and his $6.6 million to the Maple Leafs. UFA after next season.
The Panthers may have tried to get Matt Duchene from the Avalanche, but were turned down quickly.
Flames have been shopping some of their three first round picks and Mike Cammalleri.
The Flyers may want to look for a short term goalie solution instead of a longer term one in Mike Smith. The Flyers may call Tim Thomas to see if he’d be interested. Believed that the Flyers have talked to the Sabres about Ryan Miller.
- James Mirtle: Top trade candidates this weekend: 1. Kris Letang 2. Roberto Luongo 3. Shawn Horcoff 4. Paul Stastny 5. Dion Phaneuf 6. Mike Cammalleri 7. Dave Bolland 8. Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek. Other possibilities: Ales Hemsky, Jeff Schultz, John-Michael Liles, Tom Gilbert and David Booth.
- Renaud Lavoie: Flames GM Jay Feaster said that nobody has called about Mike Cammalleri.
- Mark Masters: Feaster on trades leading up to the draft: ‘Well, we hope … we’re trying to make some deals. I’ve talked to all 29 other teams.’
- Arthur Staple of Newsday: The Rangers have three picks in the second round and could be looking to move up into the second round.