- Michael Russo: Niklas Backstrom’s 3-year contract extension is for $10.25 million, a $3.42 million salary cap hit.
- Sarah McLellan: Coyotes GM Don Maloney said that management and coaches had talks with Mike Smith and his agent last week.
- Jeff Simmons of SportsNet: John Shannon said the Leafs made a qualifying offer to Jonathan Bernier. The sides will be working on a longer deal later his week. Qualifying offer is for $1.525 million.
- Arthur Staple: The Islanders sent qualifying offers to Josh Bailey, Travis Hamonic, Kevin Poulin, Thomas Hickey and David Ullstrom. They are working on long term deals for Bailey and Hamonic and shorter term deals for Poulin and Hickey.
- Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: The Penguins are expected to extend qualifying offers to Harry Zolnierczyk, Tyler Kennedy, Dustin Jeffrey and Robert Bortuzzo before the July 2nd deadline. The Penguins are also working on deals for UFAs Kris Letang, Pascal Dupuis and Matt Cooke.
“I know [Pittsburgh] wants to keep Matt if it’s economically possible.”
Jarome Iginla’s agent, Don Meehan, said in an email that he spoke with Penguins GM Ray Shero about Iginla re-signing, but his future “may very well be an issue which will be determined only after the start of free agency.”
- Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: The Red Wings will extend qualifying offers to Gustav Nyquist, Joakim Andersson, Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl. GM Ken Holland has had talks with UFAs Valtteri Filppula, Daniel Cleary and Damien Brunner.