- Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal: Elliotte Friedman suggested in his 30 Thoughts column that the Oilers might be willing to trade Nail Yakupov. Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal suggested that one of Yakupov and Jordan Eberle could be traded. If the Oilers are going to trade one of Yakupov or Eberle, Willis thinks that they should move Eberle, as Yakupov has a higher upside.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson wonders if it’s time for Oilers Ryan Smyth to hang them up. He does have one year left at $2.25 million. They could buy him out or tell him he’ll only play 40-50 games next season, possibly in a reduced role.
“I’m under their contract. I can’t sit here and speculate what they’re going to do. I can still help the team,” Smyth said.
Smyth hasn’t scored in 26 games.
“He’s been a warrior, a great warrior,” said the scout, who spoke on condition of anonymity. “But when he picks them (this feet) up and puts them down now, they come down in the same spot.
“I don’t know if he’s got the legs anymore.”
Smyth isn’t sure if it’s time to hang them up yet.
“I don’t think of that (quitting). I know I have some life left in me. I can help in different areas,” Smyth said.
“I’m playing a different role and it makes me think of defensive play more than the offensive zone. I’m trying to be an all-around player.”
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: The Predators could have a busy offseason.
“I think you have to put everything in perspective, exactly where we are,” Trotz said. “You have to be realistic in everything that we do. Let’s not sugarcoat it. We want to be a top-level team. We have to go there. We’re going to have to do what’s necessary to do that.
“Obviously (GM David Poile) has a game plan. It’s probably inappropriate for me to comment on it, but I know we’re going to have to have a very busy summer and make sure we fill holes. I know he has a game plan for that. When he wants to divulge that game plan, we’ll unleash him on you I guess.”
The Predators could have close to $22 million in cap space, with only Patric Hornqvist and Roman Josi as their only main free agents.
- Flyers.NHL.com: The Flyers signed forwards Zac Rinaldo and Jay Rosehill to two-year contracts. Tim Panaccio: Rinaldo’s deal has a cap hit of $675,000. Rosehill has a cap hit of $750,000.
- Oilers president Kevin Lowe apologizes for his comments about their fans.