- The Fourth Period: It’s believed that Mike Ribeiro and the Washington Capitals are open to a four-year contract extension. He rejected a three year deal earlier. He’s thought to be looking for a deal in the $4.5 million to $5 million range.
- Sarah McLellan: Coyotes goalie Mike Smith hopes they can get a contract done, but wouldn’t say if both sides were working on one.
- Capgeek: Sources say the Penguins will get 30% of Jussi Jokinen’s contract, $227,000 this year and $900,000 next year.
- Capgeek: Sources say the Wild will get 15% of Jason Pominville’s contract, $200,000 this year and $795,000 in cap next year.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: After trading for Ben Bishop, Lightning GM Steve Yzerman said he’s not giving up Anders Lindback.
“By no means am I giving up on Anders Lindback, not a chance,” Lightning GM Steve Yzerman told ESPN.com Thursday. “He’s a good young goalie. And I made a commitment by trading for Anders Lindback, and I believe Anders Lindback has the ability to become a good starter in this league.
“I want to provide him with the support he needs, and part of that support is having a good partner. I want the best possible tandem I can put together moving forward.”
The Lightning kicked tires on Jonathan Bernier but the price was too high.
- The Fourth Period: The Kings tried trading for a 2nd line winger at the deadline but came up empty. They made calls on Drew Stafford, Jason Pominville and Curtis Glencross. The Kings wouldn’t give up the top prospects and high draft picks for Glencross. Source said that they would trade Tyler Toffoli, but not for a rental.
- Mark Ludviczak of the Globe and Mail: The Sabres are in a rebuild, Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller are uncertain about their futures.
“I haven’t talked to them about anything so it’s hard to say yes or no because no one has let me know what direction this is heading,” Vanek said. “So we’ll finish the year out and I’m sure, at least I would expect them to let me know what the future is.”
“I don’t know, I have to talk to Darcy about it,” Miller said. “We’ll just see where everything falls and talk to Darcy about what his plan is or what’s going on because these are conversations we haven’t had time to have.
“I don’t know if we’ll have a chance to talk about it ‘til after the season.”