- Steve Simmons via twitter: Two scouts told Simmons Thursday night that the Blues Jaroslav Halak was on the trade block. Simmons asked GM Doug Armstrong who said: ”He’s not going anywhere.”
- Michael Smith via twitter: Hurricanes Eric Staal in visors: ”Why am I going to wait until that happens to me to put one on? Why not just put one on now?”
- Hockey Central via twitter: Kings GM Dean Lombardi on trade calls for Jonathan Bernier: ”I don’t know how much I can listen to them for how well he’s playing…. He’s been a critical part for us.”
- Hockey Central via twitter: GM Lombardi on trade deadline mind-set: ”Parity has kept everyone in the hunt, which means they’re not going to throw in that towel.”
- David Pagnotta via twitter: Internal management talks for the Kings over potential moves. They could be fairly active at the deadline.
- Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area: Sharks Ryane Clowe won’t play today, hopes to return on Monday. Clowe could be targeted by the Bruins, Canadiens and Maple Leafs.
“I hear it, like everyone else,” Clowe said. “I don’t pay too much attention to it. I‘m in the same position as Boyler, I really like it here. I understand things happen, but I would obviously like to stay here, too, and see this through. I haven’t had the year I’ve wanted, but that’s not affecting me, the trade rumors.”
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: (chat) Heika thinks that if the Stars make some moves, they’ll look to add prospects and draft picks. If they move Roy, they should look acquire the best 18-21 year old that they can from that team.
- Adam Kimelman of NHL.com: Pros and Cons of the Flames trading Mike Cammalleri. One season left on his deal with a $6 million cap hit. Nearly a point-per-game and the Flames may not be in full-scale roster overhaul. Any team that is looking to upgrade their second or third line should look at him. A proven goal-score that can play both wing and center.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: The Rick Nash trade cut into the Rangers depth, but they are built to win now.
“We’re always aggressive,” said Rangers assistant GM Jeff Gorton. “We’re always trying to get something that’s going to put us over the top and help us immediately and in the future.”
The Rangers are said to be interested Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle, but are talking to more teams.
“We like to call as many teams as possible, see who’s available and don’t leave any stone unturned,” Gorton said. “We’re aggressive.”
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has been actively looking for a defenseman. Justin Faulk’s injury adds to the urgency. There currently aren’t a lot of top-four defenseman available, and if one comes available, the price will be high.
- Andy Strickland of True Hockey: Teams are calling about Ryane Clowe and Dan Boyle more than the Sharks are dangling them. It will take a substantial package to get either. The Sharks are trying to figure out how to keep Clowe more than trying to trade him. Teams are also calling about defenseman Douglas Murray, who will be a UFA at the end of the season.