- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Two league executives have said that Panthers GM Dale Tallon is willing to listen to all offers as they are basically out of it. Exceptions are Jonathan Huberdeau, Erik Gudbranson, Jakob Markstrom and Drew Shore. Sources say the top name being dangled is Kris Versteeg. They had planned on shopping Stephen Weiss. The Bruins, Penguins and Canucks are looking for scoring and may have been interested.Word is that Flyers coach Peter Laviolette is safe while GM Paul Holmgren looks to make a trade.Coyotes GM Don Maloney would like to re-sign Mike Smith, but he won’t talk about a contract. He would likely sign a deal if he was assured they would be staying in Phoenix.Sources say the Avalanche aren’t thrilled about having to pay Ryan O’Reilly $6.5 million next season. He can’t be dealt until Feb. 28th, 2014.
New Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen is working the phones trying to clean up Scott Howson’s mess. He’s been offering up center Brandon Dubinsky and his $4.2 million cap hit.
Flames GM Jay Feaster isn’t shopping Jarome Iginla, but he’s held talks with more than one team to see what he could get. If they do move Iginla, they won’t hit a home-run in a deal.
Among the teams looking for a defenseman: Blues, Rangers and Hurricanes. Blues looking for a top-four.
The Senators are looking for more toughness.
If the Ducks are to move Corey Perry, GM Bob Murray will want a “king’s ransom.” Asking price will be a 1st round pick, two top prospects, and a roster player. Doubtful he’ll be moved. If he does, he’ll go the East with the Senators, Bruins, Penguins and Maple Leafs to show interest. None are expected to meet the asking price.
It’s unlikely that Leafs GM Dave Nonis will mess with the team that much. UFAs Tyler Bozak and Clarke MacArthur are unlikely to go anywhere. Nonis has indicated that teams have called. Now he would have interest in moving Mike Komisarek and John-Michael Liles.
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford would listen to offers on left winger Jussi Jokinen.
- Eric Francis of the Calgary Flames: According to Jarome Iginla’s agent Don Meehan, they are “not currently in negotiations” with the Flames. Meehan is waiting for instructions from Iginla on how to proceed.
- Will DePaoli of Inside Pittsburgh Sports: With Ryan Getzlaf re-signed by the Ducks, the focus now turns to Corey Perry. He has an interest in re-signing, but many in the league think his representatives want him to test the open market. The Ducks realize this and will consider trading him if their contract talks don’t progress well. Dreger said that the Kings, Flyers and Bruins are among the teams that would be interested. A league source said he expects the Penguins to inquire.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: Scouting the Blue Jackets – Red Wings game: Canadiens, Rangers, 2 from the Blackhawks, Kings and Blues.
- Vicki Hall via twitter: Scouting the Flames – Kings: Canucks, Rangers, Blues, 3 Bruins, Ducks, Predators, Sabres, Flyers, Washington, Penguins, Sharks and Maple Leafs.