- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: Rangers defenseman Marc Staal took a puck by his right eye after a Kimmo Timonen slapshot was deflected by Jakub Voracek. Staal doesn’t wear a shield. The Rangers didn’t release any information last night.
“I’m praying it’s not the worst,” Brian Boyle told The Post. “I said a couple of prayers [on the bench] when it happened.
“It’s scary. It makes you queasy. He’s a friend, not only a teammate.”
- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: Flyers defenseman Nicklas Grossman left after the first period last night after suffering a hip flexor injury according to sources.
- Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: Devils winger David Clarkson grew up in Toronto and it’s his favorite place to play. He’ll be a UFA at the end of the season and gets asked often if he’d consider signing with the Maple Leafs.
“You always have people who’ll ask you things and say things,” Clarkson said. “My focus is winning and doing what we did last year. I leave all that other stuff to (agent) Pat Morris. I just go out and play. Everything else is second to me. I want this team to be successful.
“My focus right now is right here (with the Devils). We’ve got to get this turned around. We have something special in here. I want to win. All those other things will fall into place in summertime.”
- Lou Korac via twitter: The Blues have recalled goalie Jake Allen from Peoria.
- Stephen Whyno via twitter: Scouting the Capitals-Bruins game: Ducks, Blue Jackets and Flyers.
- Luke DeCock via twitter: Scouting the Hurricanes-Sabres: Red Wings, Predators, Dallas, Penguins and Canucks.