- Eliotte Friedman of CBC: The Wild have lots of young talent but at different stages of development. They are 5-5-1 and have holes to fill.
“They will not be a contender until their young players are ready,” said one executive. “But that will be hard for ownership to hear.”
Capitals GM George McPhee said on Friday that he won’t “blow up” the team. Firing Adam Oates doesn’t make much sense. Several teams would love Ryan O’Reilly. Derick Brassard’s name is coming up again. The Blue Jackets have 3 1st round picks this year including the Kings and Rangers. The likely wouldn’t trade their own, but the others are strong assets in a deep draft. Dustin Penner is in the Kings doghouse and could draw some interest. There are some people who believe that if there are 2 NHL teams in Toronto, one will be owned by Bell and the other by Rogers.
- Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Molinari thinks that if the Penguins don’t think Beau Bennett is ready to contribute Evgeni Malkin and James Neal, they should look to move some assets to acquire a winger. They may be able to find someone closer to the trade deadline that would be cheaper. If they don’t find someone to fill the hole this year, it will lessen their chances of contending this spring.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: The Flyers were scouting the Blues last night. The Blues were scouting the Flyers last night. The Flyers need scoring and Blues could use a defenseman.
- B.D. Gallof via twitter: For Islanders fans who are calling for a trade, they will be disappointed as their current NHL and AHL options are their only options/solutions.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The Bruins are likely to sign Jay Pandolfo to a deal this week. He’s been skating and traveling with them.
- Dan Rosen of NHL.com: Panic or Patience for a few NHL teams. Rangers – patience. Flyers – patience. Capitals – panic. Red Wings – patience. Kings – panic.