- Josh Rimer via twitter: Rimer is hearing that the Flyers have contacted the Canadiens about P.K. Subban. Center Sean Couturier would likely be a piece going to the Canadiens for Subban. Two other teams have contacted the Canadiens about Subban. Sam Carchidi via twitter: A source said that the Flyers have had NO discussion about making an offer for Subban. Darren Dreger via twitter: The Canadiens are firm on their 2 year deal worth roughly $5 million total.
- Louis Jean via twitter: Source said there is no real progress today on Subban talks. His agent suggested coming down from offer for 5 plus years to Jamie Benn’s numbers. There is still a philosophical divide. Nick Kypreos via twitter: Hearing no progress in negotiations today. Louis Jean via twitter: There was speculation that talks could yield a new offer, but that is not the case. Source suggested that both sides will take the weekend off to re-assess positions. Subban’s camp asked for the meeting. May not have been a step back, but not a step forword. Dave Stubbs via twitter: Subban’s agent, Don Meehan, in a text: ”We met with (
#Habs) Marc B today. P.K. will take weekend to reflect & we will meet P.K. again on Monday”
- David Alter via twitter: The Maple Leafs have sent defenseman Jake Gardiner to the AHL. No one has been called up to replace him, and they’ll stay with 22 players for the time being. Darren Dreger via twitter: “Gardiner simply needs the minutes to get back up to speed. Might have been a good idea to give him a few AHL games to warm him up.” Damien Cox via twitter: “Not sure why so many Leaf fans believe playing in the AHL is bad for a player, or somehow an insult. Just part of the process.”
- Damien Cox via twitter: “And since I know this question is coming, no, the Leafs are not more likely to trade Gardiner in a Luongo deal. Won’t happen.”
- Mike Halford via twitter: Halford thinks that Ducks Corey Perry/Ryan Getzlaf will be this years Ryan Suter/Shea Weber. Minus the “Philly’s crippling offer sheet” subplot. Halford could see Getzlaf staying in Anaheim, and Perry signing a huge deal with someone, maybe with Detroit. The Flyers of course would be interested.
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: Simmons brings up the questionable goaltending by Ben Scrivens, and that James Reimer allowed a pair of weak goals in his only start. The Canucks will eventually have to lower their asking price for Roberto Luongo. There is evidence that the Maple Leafs are playing better under Randy Carlyle. Nazem Kadri is playing well. Despite not scoring often, Phil Kessel is working hard. Dion Phaneuf is gambling less. The goaltending needs to be stabalized if the Leafs want to be in a position to win more often.
- Dan Tencer via twitter: The Oilers waiver claim on goalie Niko Hovinen is not an NHL move, don’t expect him to be added to their roster.