Dave Nonis is named the 14th general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Burke will be staying with the Maple Leafs in a senior advisor role.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Dreger was told that Burke was absolutely shocked by the news. Said via text that he can’t talk at this point.
- Damien Cox of the Toronto Star: “Two, both Bell and Rogers are keen on a deal for Vancouver goalie Roberto Luongo and Burke was resisting such a move. He said repeatedly of late that he was “90 per cent” certain he wanted to go with the combination of James Reimer and Ben Scrivens in net and had talked several times about his frustrations of dealing with Vancouver GM Mike Gillis, particularly since he wasn’t sure dealing for Luongo was the right move.”
- Alex Seixeiro via twitter: “Bob McCown on #Sportsnet: Burke didn’t want to deal Kadri & Gardiner for Luongo. Felt it wasn’t the right deal to make. #Leafs #MapleLeafs”
- Damien Cox via twitter: “Bell/Rogers clearly not comfortable with Burke. Bell, in particular, believed his style was “bad for the brand.”
- Damien Cox via twitter: “Nonis will ABSOLUTELY make a strong push to get Roberto Luongo from Vancouver. Take that to the bank.”
- James Mirtle via twitter: Source: “Chances of Luongo in Toronto just improved.”
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: “Anselmi asked if Luongo played any factor in firing. “No,” responded Anselmi.”
- Katie Strang via twitter: “Toronto’s Larry Tannenbaum when asked about Burke: “This was a decision of the board.”"
- David Pagnotta via twitter: “Last season, Burke turned down trading Grabovski to Chicago for a 1st & prospect, and rejected a 1st RD pick for MacArthur from another team”
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: “One NHL team executive believes Burke’s reluctance to move on Luongo cost him but I think there’s more to it than that…”
- Jason Brough via twitter: “Burke: Didn’t address goaltending. Never landed a top center. Poor free-agent signings. Still not very tough. No playoffs. So…yeah.”
- Brian Huddle via twitter: “I also can’t see a new GM wanting the Kessel trade hanging over him, and almost wonder if he’ll be moved.”
- David Pagnotta via twitter: “Was told in June new Leafs ownership was not going to renew Burke once contract expires, once they took over. Surprised happened now”
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: “The reality is Brian Burke should have been fired before he was allowed to hire Randy Carlyle.”
- Tim Wharnsby via twitter: Burke had 2 more years on his contract at about $3 million a year.
- Steve Simmons via twitter: “I could be wrong, but I don’t believe the Burke firing has anything to with Luongo. I believe there are other issues at play here.”
- Mark Spector via twitter: “Sounds like Burke did NOT want to make Luongo deal, while many in Leafs org did. Burke a principled man.”
- Ian Mendes via twitter: “The timing of the Brian Burke firing is absolutely stunning to me — unless his contract stipulated he could not be fired during a lockout.”
- Nick Kypreos via twitter: “#NHL news: Source saying #Canucks Luongo still very much in the hunt to become a #Leaf despite GM Burke relieved of his duties. “
- Eric Francis via twitter: “Speculation is it’s Luongo related but that’s hard to fathom, unless it was the tipping point of a power struggle. Against who is question “
- Greg Brady via twitter: ”I realize this is VERY speculative, but told by a source Randy Carlyle is “not exactly safe”. I trust this source impeccably. Wow.”
- James Mirtle via twitter: “Several people around league told me during lockout they didn’t think Burke would last the season. Didn’t fully believe it…”
- Brian Huddle via twitter: “You let the guy sign McClement, draft Rielly, hire Carlyle and trade for JVR, and THEN fire him? #gongshow”
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: “Toronto Maple Leafs have apparently fired Brian Burke as general manager. Working on official confirmations.”
- Nick Kypreos via twitter: Kypreos confirms that Burke has been fired.
- Dan Tencer via twitter: “This move could have been made during the lockout to allow a new body to become familiar with players, contracts etc. Timing seems absurd.”
- Glenn Schiiler via twitter: “Wonder if Burke told the board “Sorry I don’t think Luongo is going to happen.” Then the board said “OK..goodbye then!”Nonis to get it done?”