- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: The NHL and NHLPA are still talking to each other over the phone and through email. There are no formal talks scheduled.
- Katie Strang of ESPN: A source said that the NHL is expected to cancel the Winter Classic on Thursday.
- Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet: Kypreos believes more owners need to get involved.
Worse is the perception that only three people control all the power and information when it comes to the future of the NHL, that a new deal hinges solely on Bettman, Bob Batterman (lead counsel for the NHL) and Jeremy Jacobs (Boston Bruins owner and chairman of the NHL board). Everyone else is on the outside looking in when it comes to power in the league.
If you asked any other owners, they’ll tell you they know as much as you or me. Some will say a reduction to a 50-50 split is fine. If an owner like Mike Ilitch wanted to join negotiations with the NHLPA, he wouldn’t be allowed to. More than a handful of teams have said they can’t afford to lose a 2nd full season in 8 years.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: NHL teams were told not to start booking their arenas until after Tuesday in case there were last ditch talks between the NHL and NHLPA.
- Slava Malamud via twitter: Ilya Kovalchuk: “If I spend the (entire) season with SKA, I will only win from it”
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Blue Jackets defenseman Jack Johnson on his site: “The concept that the owners are trying to dismantle existing contracts that they in good faith offered, signed, and committed to is appalling, unprofessional, and disgraceful.”