- Vicki Hall of hte Calgary Herald: The Calgary Flames have mutually parted ways with head coach Brent Sutter yesterday. Assistant coach Dave Lowry will not have his contract renewed. Sutter,“After discussions with Jay since the season ended, it was in the best interest of the organization and myself to part ways. I wish the Calgary Flames all the best.”
- Ian Busby of QMI Agency: Busby names some possible targets for the Flames next head coach. 1. Troy Ward (head coach of Abbotsford, AHL) 2. Bob Boughner (head coach Windsor, OHL) 3. Bob Hartley (head coach ZSC, Switzerland) 4. Craig MacTavish (head coach Chicago, AHL) 5. Mike Sullivan (assistant coach, NY Rangers).
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: (Mailbag) If the Stars are able to land a Zach Parise, they may have to unload some contracts, and Brenden Morrow and Steve Ott could be the guys. Other teams will have interest in Morrow and Ott. Richard Bachman will have to battle Jack Campbell for the backup roll next season. Campbell may be better with 1 more year of development. Heika thinks they could land Parise and make a trade for a defenseman. They might have to wait for a new CBA before they make a move on a defenseman.
- Eric Stephens of the OC Register: Ducks Corey Perry, Jonas Hiller, Cam Fowler and Luca Sbisa aren’t going anywhere. Ryan Getzlaf is entering a contract year and would be hard to replace. Bobby Ryan could be used to improve defense and depth. The Ducks have 8 unrestricted free agents, and hope to re-sign Saku Koivu. Jason Blake, Niklas Hagman and Dan Ellis are as good as gone. Center Rod Pelley may not be re-signed either. They will have decisions to make on George Parros and Sheldon Brookbank.
- Adam Jahns via twitter: Coyotes Radim Vrbata is day-to-day with an injury.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Predators defenseman Hal Gill didn’t practice yesterday and is day-to-day with a lower-body injury.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: The Canadiens have called the Red Wings about Jim Nill for their vacant GM position. In the past the Red Wings have said no to any team calling about him. The L.A .Times reported on Wednesday that the Canadiens are interested in Kings assistant GM Ron Hextall and Kings executive Luc Robitaille. The Canadiens have also inquired about Blackhawks assistant GM Marc Bergevin, Lightning assistant GM Julien BriseBois and Maple Leafs assistant GM Claude Loiselle.
- Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: Odds are Martin Brodeur will be back with the Devils next year.“I don’t know what the future will bring me. I want to play more, but a lot of circumstances could happen that I won’t,” he said. “So I’m looking forward to this.”
“I’m not 100 percent sure about next year because I don’t have a contract and I’m not negotiating or anything,” Brodeur said. “We’ll see what the future brings after these playoffs. But this season definitely answered a lot of questions in the way I’m able to perform and my willingness to do it every day. That was one of the things that was worrying me a little bit.
“You need to want to come to the rink. You need to want to travel. I’ve been doing it for a long time and I really regained that desire this season. That’s why I didn’t want to lean one way or the other for the longest time. Just because I wanted to see if I was up for the grind.”
- Canucks Byron Bitz suspended for 2 games.