- Bob McKenzie of TSN: There is some talk around the league that Stars forward Brenden Morrow “may” become available before the trade deadline. The Stars are in 10th spot, but only 3 points out and have played less games. Morrow has a no-trade clause and one more year left with a $4.1 cap hit. The Stars won’t aggressively shop him, but contenders could target him. If the Stars could get a nice young package for him, and if he’d agree to it, they would have to consider it. A Stars source said they’re “probably not” going to trade him. One team executive heard:
“Morrow might be available” and “we certainly intend to find out if he is.”
- Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Gordon lists some players that “could actually impact the playoff races”: Mikhail Grabovski, Nikolai Kulemin, Antoine Vermette, Andrei Kostitsyn, Martin Havlat, Mason Raymond, Evgeni Nabokov, Luke Schenn, Tim Gleason, Antero Niittymaki, Hal Gill, and Marek Zidlicky.
- Roger Hensley of the St. Louis Post Dispatch: If the Blues need to add a proven scorer is a tough question to answer. Will they be fine when Alex Steen and Andy McDonald return from injury? There may not be a lot of legit scores that are available, and what would be the cost to get one? If Steen and McDonald return, Hensley doesn’t think they need to bring in scoring help, but if they don’t, they may need to explore some other options.
- Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: Devils goalie Martin Brodeur has said he’s having fun this year and is leaning towards coming next year. Chere notes that Zach Parise won’t be dealt at the trade deadline, but the odds of him re-signing with them are 50-50.
- Jason Botchford in the National Post: Canucks forward Mason Raymond has battled his way back from a broken back this year, but he hasn’t been producing and could find his days in Vancouver numbered. He’s well liked, a good penalty killer, has good wheels, but has only scored 33 goals in his last 171 games.
- Chris Botta via twitter: Ducks Jason Blake is getting some trade interest. Botta notes that the Ducks got better when he returned from injury.
- Tim Sassone via twitter: If Ducks Jason Blake is available, Sassone thinks he’d look good as the Blackhawks 2nd line center. He wonders if Bob Murray would trade with Stan Bowman. (I don’t think Blake has played center at any point in his NHL career)
- John Wawrow (AP) in the Globe and Mail: Gary Bettman says there are 3 groups that are showing “serious” interest in the buying the Coyotes that would keep the team there. One of the groups is led by former Sharks president and CEO Greg Jamison and the other is Jerry Reinsdorf.
“We’re going to try to avoid a move of the Coyotes, but if we don’t sell the club, I’m not sure that this won’t be the last season here,” he said.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Senators captain on Daniel Alfredsson on playing next year:
“The way this season is going, if I’m still healthy after this season, I’m hoping I can go one more,” said Alfredsson. “This year has been so good. If we can make the playoffs, that would almost be a dream come true.”
- David Pollak via twitter: The Sharks have traded defenseman Sean Sullivan to the Panthers for Tim Kennedy.