- Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal: Taylor Hall will be out 2 to 4 weeks with a left shoulder injury.
“I thought I was going to be out for a shorter period of time,” he said, “but two to four weeks isn’t bad. It’s not like I’m missing a huge chunk of games, where it would take me three to four games to really get back into the swing of things.
“I want to get back as quick as I can, obviously. I just have to try and rehab it as quick as possible .. make it as strong as possible.”
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC.ca: Other coaching situations to watch are in Calgary, Anaheim and Colorado. Eric Francis reported over the weekend that there won’t any changes in Calgary. The Ducks budget is stretched, which may may be evident in them passing up on Blake Comeau and his pro-rated $2.5 million salary. Flames GM Jay Feaster on Jarome Iginla: “He is part of the solution…We are not trading him.” The Wild and Predators made claims on Comeau, who the Flames ended up getting. The Islanders didn’t want to take on any salary in a Comeau trade, so they put him on waivers.
- James Murphy of ESPN: Murphy doesn’t think the Bruins are considering trading Tuukka Rask now or in the near future. He is their future starting goalie. David Krejci will be a UFA at seasons end, but he may not able to expect “big money.” Murphy thinks that if Krejci continues to be average, they could explore what his trade value is, though he doesn’t think they’ll give up on him yet. Murphy doesn’t know if the Bruins have held contract talks with Chris Kelly.
- Darren Millard via twitter: Nick Kypreos was told by an NHL executive that the Ducks are shopping Bobby Ryan.
- Eric Stephens of the OC Register: Ducks Bobby Ryan found himself practicing with the 3rd line yesterday along with Ben Maxwell and Niklas Hagman. Matt Beleskey was on the top line with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. Ducks backup Dan Ellis had an ultrasound yesterday on his groin injury.
- Luke DeCock: Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford acknowledged that their budget woes cost them the ability to get/keep veteran leadership. He mentioned Eric Cole and Ray Whitney.
- Dennis Bernstein via twitter: Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier was patrolling the press box during the Kings-Sharks game last night.
- Rich Hammond of the LA Kings Insider: Kings forward Dustin Penner missed his 8th straight game last night, but he could return on Thursday. Alec Martinez is at least a week away from returning. Scott Parse will have season ending hip surgery. He had hip surgery last year as well.
- Dennis Bernstein via twitter: Even with the possible return of Penner on Thursday, Terry Murray’s comments sounded like Dustin Brown could see more time at left wing.
- Tim Campbell of the Winnipeg Free Press: Jets defensemen Tobias Enstrom and Randy Jones are back skating. Enstrom is expected to be out until after Christmas. Jones could be 8 or 9 days away. Brett Festerling and Derek Meech are out indefinitely. Ron Hainsey hasn’t been able to go since last Wednesday.
- Ben Kuzma via twitter: With Cory Schneider starting for the Canucks tonight, it makes a strong statement that he could be the number 1 goalie in Vancouver.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Curtis Sanford will start in net for the Blue Jackets tonight against the Canucks.
- Ian Mendes via twitter: Craig Anderson will start in net for the Senators tonight against the Jets.