- Nick Kypreos via twitter: “Perception has #Bruins Horton in Van just 2 inspire but told he feels healthy enough to play and wants to convince Dr’s/team to let him play.” Joe Haggerty via twitter: Bruins coach Claude Julien said that Nathan Horton was still experiencing post-concussion symptoms as of yesterday. Players have to be symptom free for 7 days.
- Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly: On Thursday and Friday, Ilya Bryzgalov will meet with Flyers GM Paul Holmgren and other organizational members. Bryzgalov’s agent Ritch Winter will continue to negotiate, not much progress has been made since the trade. He’s seeking more than $6 million a season, and it’s expected to be at least 5 years.
- Aaron Portline of the Columbus Dispatch: Defenseman Jan Hejda and the Columbus Blues Jackets are talking about a new contract, and hope to get something done by July 1st. Three UFA’s (Scottie Upshall, Andrew Murray, and Mathieu Garon) are likely to hit the open market. “With Scottie, we’ve said we’re certainly open to having him back with our club. I’m not sure we’re going to do anything before July 1, but we’re certainly open to talking after July 1.” GM Scott Howson has made it clear that the 8th overall pick could be had for immediate help. The Blue Jackets have already sent qualifying offers to RFA’s Jake Voracek and Marc Methot. It’s unsure if Anton Stralman and Sami Lepisto will get qualifying offers. They will try to re-sign UFA’s Kyle Wilson, Trevor Frischmon and Ben Guite, but they may test the market. Minor league RFA’s that are expected to get qualifying offers are: Mike Blunden, Tomas Kana and Nick Holden.
- Aaron Portline via twitter: Mike Commodore is likely to be bought out soon by the Blue Jackets.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Oilers will likely try to trade 4th line agitator Zack Stortini at the NHL entry draft for a pick. If they can’t trade him they could either send him a qualifying offer to retain his rights or let him become a UFA. The Stars were interested in Stortini at one point last year but didn’t have an open roster spot. The Oilers can buyout Sheldon Souray starting today.
- Michael Traikos of the National Post: The Maple Leafs re-signed Carl Gunnarsson to a 2 year deal worth $2.6 million. “We’re very happy with his development,” said general manager Brian Burke, “and what he needs to do is come up with an 82-game season. He had a real good second-half each of the last two years. But he’s got to start better than he has.” Expect the Leafs to turn their focus to RFA Luke Schenn now. They are also expected to try and re-sign Clarke MacArthur, Tyler Bozak and Tim Brent.
“It’s not time-sensitive, for either player,” Burke said of negotiations with Schenn and MacArthur. “We’ve told Clarke if he wants to file for arbitration he can go ahead and file for arbitration. That’s part of the process. That’s part of the collective bargaining agreement. But we anticipate that he’s going to be under contract and play for the Toronto Maple Leafs in the fall.”
- Gary Lawless via twitter: Possible candidates for the Winnipeg coaching spot are Kirk Muller, Claude Noel and Bob Woods.
- Josh Coope of The Tennessean: After making it into the 2nd round of the playoffs, the Predators are having their highest season-ticket renewal rate. The team is planning on unveiling new uniforms later this summer.